As Joe Biden nears the announcement of his vice-presidential choice, the top contenders and their advocates are making final appeals.
The campaign hasn’t finalized a date for naming a running mate, but three people who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the plans said a public announcement likely wouldn’t happen before the week of Aug. 10. That’s one week before Democrats will hold their convention to officially nominate Biden as their presidential nominee.
Read more: Joe Biden to seek major foreign policy shift if elected
Biden said in May that he hoped to name his pick around Aug. 1 and told reporters this week that he would “have a choice in the first week of August.” He notably stopped short of saying when he would announce that choice.
Running mates are often announced on the eve of a convention. As he prepares to make his choice, a committee established to vet possible running mates has provided Biden with briefing materials. Biden will likely soon begin one-on-one conversations with those under consideration, which could be the most consequential part of the process for a presidential candidate who values personal connections.
The leading contenders include California Sen. Kamala Harris, California Rep. Karen Bass and Obama national security adviser Susan Rice. The deliberations remain fluid, however, and the campaign has reviewed nearly a dozen possible running mates.
“For Joe Biden, this is crunch time. After all the vetting, all the investigations into the prospective nominees, it’s now up to Joe. It’s personal,” said former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who was vetted for vice-president in 2008. “It’s now about his gut feeling.”
Representatives for Biden declined to comment for this story.
The selection amounts to the most significant choice Biden has confronted in his nearly five-decade political career. He has pledged to select a woman and is facing calls to choose the first Black woman to compete on a presidential ticket.
On Friday, more than 60 Black clergy leaders called on Biden in an open letter to pick a Black woman as his running mate, saying the U.S. is facing a “moment of racial reckoning” that cannot be ignored.
“Too much is at stake for our community and we believe having a Black woman vice-presidential candidate is the clearest path to the victory in November that our country needs to move forward,” said Rev. Matthew Watley, of Kingdom Fellowship AME Church in Silver Spring, Maryland, who signed the letter.
Given the historic significance of the moment, some are urging Biden not to let the announcement linger too long.
New B.C. coronavirus cases surge to 50 ahead of long weekend
Coronavirus: Trudeau announces plans for end of CERB, transition to EI
“My sense is that the VP himself, having been through this process, is aware of and mindful of not letting people hang out there too long,” said Democratic strategist Karen Finney. “There certainly seems to be a bit of a media frenzy, and I think we have to be aware that at a point, it becomes unfair to the candidates being considered.”
As a decision looms, the camps are jockeying for position.
Read more: Biden promises economic agenda will fight racial inequality
Harris’ allies mobilized this week after Politico reported that the co-chair of the vetting committee, former Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, was concerned about Harris’ tough debate stage performance and that she hasn’t expressed regret.
Several California elected officials and labour leaders initiated a call with the vetting team to emphasize that Harris has strong support among labour and political leaders in her home state. The call was organized by Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis and included the mayors of Oakland, Long Beach and Stockton and former Gov. Gray Davis.
“A group of us really felt we needed to organize and speak out and correct the record because she has tremendous support,” Kounalakis said.
Beyond emphasizing their strong relationships with Harris, they also pushed back against the idea that Harris wouldn’t be a loyal partner.
Harris, while not directly addressing her vice-presidential prospects, told a group of young Black women Friday that it’s common for Black women to face resistance when they exercise their power.
“There will be a resistance to your ambition. There will be people who say to you: `You are out of your lane,”’ she said during the digital summit. “They are burdened by only having the capacity to see what has always been instead of what can be. … I’ve had that experience my entire career.”
Biden has sought feedback on his pick from former President Barack Obama, who has provided advice but has insisted the choice is his to make, according to a person who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private conversations.
Biden allies say his wife, Jill, and sister, Valerie Biden Owens, are likely to play a key role in the decision, as they have with many of Biden’s biggest political decisions throughout his career. Jill has held online campaign events and fundraisers with virtually all the potential contenders in recent weeks, as has Biden himself, effectively offering the contenders a try-out opportunity with the presumptive Democratic nominee.
On Thursday night, Bass joined Biden for a virtual fundraiser that raked in $2.2 million. She has also taken steps to build her national profile, including providing interviews to multiple outlets over the past week.
On Friday night, Biden held a virtual fundraiser with Elizabeth Warren, who has also been considered as a running mate. Biden said the event raised more than $1.7 million from over 50,000 grassroots donors. That’s about a quarter of the $6 million the Massachusetts senator brought in during her first online fundraiser for the former vice-president last month that appealed to higher-dollar donors.
“We’ve known each other a long time. Her fearless work for a just America has transformed lives and inspired millions, including me,” Biden said. “She is something else. You all know her.”
Warren said, “This is a time of unprecedented crisis.”
Read more: Just a third of Americans approve of Trump’s response to coronavirus, poll suggests
“But I wake up every single day with a heart full of hope and here is why: Vice-President Biden is meeting the moment,” she added. The two talked for nearly an hour but did not mention the vice-presidential selection process.
Some Biden donors have already begun to plan prospective fundraising events ahead of the formal announcement. Biden’s team expects his running mate to contribute immediately to his fundraising operation. Of the finalists, Harris is thought to be the most formidable traditional fundraiser, while Warren’s ability to attract small-dollar donations from the party’s progressive base is also viewed as a major asset.
© 2020 The Canadian Press
- بازی یک بازی خطرناک: Alan متقابل و برخی پیش بینی ها برای آینده موسیقی
- راننده به بیمارستان فرستاده با آسیب های جدی زیر rollover در کینگستون
- کوروناویروس: پرستون با محدودیت های جدید قفل شدن مواجه است چرا که نرخ عفونت در شهر لنشایر
- Coronavirus: بوریس جانسون می پرسد آلمان برای کمک به نجات انگلستان تماس با ما-ردیابی برنامه
- جنگ ستارگان مورد علاقه Boba Fett به نظر می رسد در Mandalorian فصل 2 - CNET
- Coronavirus: هیچ تغییر چشمگیر را مستند به عنوان کشور هنوز هم نمی 'جنگل' دولت می گوید
- کانادا و ایالات متحده قایق های توریستی در آبشار نیاگارا برجسته کردن تفاوت در coronavirus نبرد
- پلنگ سیاه به هوا در ABC در چادویک Boseman ادای احترام - CNET 88801100011088 ای بی سی روز یکشنبه پخش ویژه ای بدون تجاری از فیلم پلنگ سیاه خواهد داشت.مارول استودیوز والت دیزنی شامگاه یکشنبه با پخش ویژه بدون تجاری پلنگ سیاه، فیلم ابرقهرمان سال ۲۰۱۸ بازیگر فقید که در آن بازی کرده بود، ادای احترام خواهد کرد و به دنبال آن برنامه ویژه ای به افتخار حرفه اش به نمایش در خواهد آمد.این فیلم قرار است از ساعت ۸ بعد از ظهر از تلویزیون ای بی سی پخش شود، ای بی سی نیوز چادویک بوزمان را تولید کرد -- ادای احترام برای یک پادشاه که حدود ساعت ۱۰:۲۰ بعد از ظهر آغاز می شود، ای بی سی روز یکشنبه توییت کرد. برای بیشتر شبیه به این مشترک شدن در خبرنامه CNET در حال حاضر برای انتخاب سردبیران ما از مهم ترین داستان های روز. این بازیگر روز جمعه در سن ۴۳ سالگی در خانه اش در لس آنجلس در کنار همسرش و دیگر اعضای خانواده اش درگذشت. اخبار مربوط به مرگ بوسمن جهان را مبهوت کرد، چرا که او علناً نبرد خود را با سرطان در میان نخوانده بود.بوزمان در ابتدا به خاطر به تصویر کشیدن چهره های زندگی واقعی مانند جیمز براون در Get on Up، جکی رابینسون در ۴۲ و تورگود مارشال در مارشال شناخته شده بود. او به سوپراستاردوم افزایش یافت زمانی که بازیگران به عنوان شاه T'Challa در پلنگ سیاه در فیلم های متعدد مجموعه ای در جهان سینمایی مارول، از جمله انتقام جویان: Endgame؛ کاپیتان آمریکا: جنگ داخلی؛ و پلنگ سیاه -- یک فیلم پیشگامانه کتاب کمیک که هفت نامزدی را در هفتاد و یکم جوایز اسکار به ثمر رساند، از جمله بهترین تصویر.توییت خانواده اش ارسال شده در روز جمعه گفت که بوسمن مفتخر به به تصویر کشیدن پلنگ سیاه تبدیل شده است دوست داشتنی ترین توییت تا کنون ، با بیش از 7 میلیون دوست دارد تا بعد از ظهر یکشنبه. the most-liked tweet ever
- بوریس جانسون اخبار – زنده: واکسن منتقدان به نام "آجیل" با PM به عنوان وزرای هدف آشغال تبلیغات مواد غذایی در چاقی سرکوب
- N. S. پدر و مادر برای تماس اطلس حباب به ماندن بگیرید پیش از سال تحصیلی جدید