Brexit trade talks between the UK and EU are actually "going backwards" as negotiators "waste valuable time", Brussels' chief negotiator has said.
A visibly annoyed Michel Barnier told reporters on Friday after a week-long round of talks that on some subjects there had been "no progress whatsoever on the issues that matter".
"Too often this week it felt as if we were going backwards more than forward. Given the short time left ... today at this stage an agreement between the UK and the European Union seems unlikely. I still do not understand why we are wasting valuable time," he said.
David Frost, the UK's chief negotiator, said in a written statement that he believed "agreement is still possible" but that "it is clear that it will not be easy to achieve".
Mr Barnier stuck to a previous assessment that an agreement was "unlikely". He said there had been some minor progress on "technical issues" such as UK participation in EU programmes and anti-money laundering but that the fundamentals were still out of place.
The UK's Mr Frost said: “The EU is still insisting not only that we must accept continuity with EU state aid and fisheries policy, but also that this must be agreed before any further substantive work can be done in any other area of the negotiation, including on legal texts.
"This makes it unnecessarily difficult to make progress. There are other significant areas which remain to be resolved and, even where there is a broad understanding between negotiators, there is a lot of detail to work through. Time is short for both sides."
But Mr Barnier said the UK would find that all countries it tried to negotiate agreements with would require the British government to sign up to common rules.7
"No international agreement was ever reached without the parties agreeing to common rules and I can predict with absolute certainty this will also be the case of trade agreements with other partners in the future such as the United States, Japan, and Australia," he said.
- ویگان سلاح سرد: مرد دستگیر و پس از دو سلاح سرد که در آن زن می میرد
- بدبخت 32 سهام bodycam فیلم از پدر بودن Tasered توسط پلیس در خانه اش
- UK politics news – live: دولت نمی نگه دقیقه سکوت برای جورج فلوید به عنوان صادق خان 'امید' برخی از لندن مجسمه می تواند برداشته شود
- Facebook Messenger اتاق در مقابل زوم: که تصویری-چت نرم افزار بهتر است ؟ - CNET
- ترس از هیچ معامله در Brexit ایران افزایش دور دیگری از مذاکرات به پایان می رسد در acrimony
- South Korea to see tougher measures as new coronavirus outbreak spreads from capital
- لندن, Ont., شهردار وظیفه نیروهای حرکت به سوی پست-coronavirus برنامه های بازیابی
- The Last of Us Part 2 گرفتن اینترنت از آنها بدم میاید. شما می توانید آن را نادیده بگیرد - CNET
- Four teenagers arrested after 12-year-old boy stabbed in Essex
- Alecta بررسی قطع برق در مرکز شهر همیلتون